Sunday, May 20, 2018

April 25, 2018

.

This is one of a few things that I've made specifically for Instagram.  BadAssCrossStitch is someone I "know" from Instagram.  She asked the people who follow her on IG to embroider our jeans' pockets with statements that would protest intellectual-property theft, photograph them, and put them on Instagram with a #reBUTTal hashtag.  If you are on Instagram, and check out the #reBUTTal hashtag, you'll see hundreds of embroidered pockets.

ineedorange -- @badasscrossstitch  made a fine sign for the Women’s March. Some sleazy clothing manufacturer took her words and put them on the rear pocket of skin tight jeans, without a by-your-leave. This is a bit of ammunition for her ongoing “negotiations” with them.  #reBUTTal

This is the first embroidery I'd done in decades.  I wanted it to show up, so I chose the palest embroidery floss I could find (at home), and used chain stitch so the lines were fat.  The yellow is just plain sewing thread.  I left the pocket on the jeans, which was faster in the long run, but somewhat harder to manage.  Especially at the bottom of the pocket!  I drew white lines with a ruler and a white pencil for a bit of guidance to keep the lettering sort of straight, and sort of an even size......  And then I winged it.

I don't actually have any desire to draw attention to my jeans pockets, so this is a pair of jeans so old that one leg has been almost entirely cannibalized for patches to repair other pairs of jeans......  But the top is whole, and I could put them on for the pic.

The original (by the song's writer).  I loved Lesley Gore (the first single I ever bought was "It's my Party"), but somehow I missed this song back in the day.  I wish I'd known it then.  I wish every girl knew it.




I love this version, too.





Running errands.  Visiting a new-to-me grocery.  Excellent clouds, and that highest white dot is the moon.


.

No comments: